
Starting out!!!Today is a BIG day in so many ways. We had our first appointment at a fertility clinic and while we were waiting for the doctor I realized today would also have been my parents anniversary (would have been -- counting from the day they got married - long story)
E and I are trying to start a family and this was our first doctors appointment. Blood drawing, the ever fantastic ob/gyn tests, and apparently a psych eval (which is yet to occur). Everything was going well except E is scared of having her blood drawn so it took what seemed like forever to get any blood from her (it was literally like getting blood from a stone). I never took this fear seriously, it's obviously a problem!!!If they don't have enough collected from her we'll be back to have more drawn. She is now taking pre-natal vitamins, and we will start narrowing down the potential donors--this is getting real for me, its no longer just a discussion or a plan. Ofcourse we hope all tests are fine but we are already hopeful and excited.
Being gay, there is no accidental conception--no need to be a guest on Maury. Being the non-biological mother, I was afraid I would be a silent partner--not so today or so far, it was quite clear from the time we made an appointment at the fertility clinic that I was expected to be present, for the consultation and even the medical screening, I was going to excuse myself for the ob/gyn portion but the doctor said she was sure E would expect me there. It felt VERY good!! heteros expect this, gays appreciate and notice this. I think I'm going to like this place.
So that's our day so far, E is sleeping, so peacefully, I am hopeful and excited, we might be mommies after all.
E and I are trying to start a family and this was our first doctors appointment. Blood drawing, the ever fantastic ob/gyn tests, and apparently a psych eval (which is yet to occur). Everything was going well except E is scared of having her blood drawn so it took what seemed like forever to get any blood from her (it was literally like getting blood from a stone). I never took this fear seriously, it's obviously a problem!!!If they don't have enough collected from her we'll be back to have more drawn. She is now taking pre-natal vitamins, and we will start narrowing down the potential donors--this is getting real for me, its no longer just a discussion or a plan. Ofcourse we hope all tests are fine but we are already hopeful and excited.
Being gay, there is no accidental conception--no need to be a guest on Maury. Being the non-biological mother, I was afraid I would be a silent partner--not so today or so far, it was quite clear from the time we made an appointment at the fertility clinic that I was expected to be present, for the consultation and even the medical screening, I was going to excuse myself for the ob/gyn portion but the doctor said she was sure E would expect me there. It felt VERY good!! heteros expect this, gays appreciate and notice this. I think I'm going to like this place.
So that's our day so far, E is sleeping, so peacefully, I am hopeful and excited, we might be mommies after all.