Yesterday, thursday was our first official prenatal appointment. It went ok, it was obvious we will not be getting the same individual attention we were used to at the fertility institute. There was not much for them to do on this visit, almost all of E's bloodwork is done--so it came down to cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia screens and a urinalysis. We also got the option to do a sequential screen (down syndrome, trisomy 18 and open neural tube defects). The decision thus far is to do one, even if just for peace of mind.
As far as our doctor, it was a very different dynamic from our previous ob/gyn at the institute. I felt there was more of a chemistry and more personal communication with our previous doctor. This one--we could have been any one of their numerous patients in their large practice. At some point during our appointment it felt like she was simply repeating what she tells every patient that walks into her office, I'm sure she is a fine doctor--we just didn't hit if off . Even though we selecteted this doctor this time, there is no guarantee they will be the same doctor in the delivery room, this will depend on which one is on call then. That sucks, so they encourage people to atleast see all doctors in the practice at least once so the delivery room encounter is not the first. I don't like this, but I know it will pretty much be the same in any practice, that's what I hear. We are sort of on the fence with this one, but we have to decide soon as I think it will be hard to move to a new practice or doctor after the first trimester, or so I have been told. Again, this sucks.
We are on week 9, E is still feeling ill, this time it's an upset stomach, I don't think she expected it would be this way. I know it's very selfish of me, but I can count on one hand the number of times since this pregnancy that we have really have an evening together -- on any given day she is sleeping on the couch and I am watching tv. I miss her.